Sunday, November 11, 2007

Free TV for me?

No this isn't some half cocked scheme to get 150 HD channels for free. It is our attempt to go cold turkey on cable and satellite TV. Our one year bundled rate expired and we remembered that TV, or at least some of it, is free to anyone with some bunny ears for their TV. So we decided to give it a try. So far so good for me. The satellite turned off Saturday morning, so instead of catching bits and pieces of a dozen college football games, I watched bits of three games. My wife wasn't sure at first because on Saturdays and Sundays networks are clogged with football and little programming intended for her viewing. But instead of watching TV we went and worked in the yard, read books, blogged and talked. This morning (Monday) I have opted for a book and a blog with my breakfast instead of Sports Center. I think this is going to work out pretty well. We are going to take back the $10 antennae for a better one so we the picture quality is higher, but I think we are going to make it work.

Dropping satellite is going to save us money, but more importantly it is going to save us time. Time we can spend doing better things. Plus now it only takes us 30 seconds to discover there is nothing on TV, whereas before by the time you checked everything out and learned there was nothing on, it was time for the next shows to start and you wasted more time discovering that there is still nothing on.

One last thing about dropping satellite. I really wanted to get CSTV, Versus and mtn. because together they will have broadcast every BYU football game this year. But in order to get CSTV I would need to order the Sports package ($15) and to get Versus I would have to get the expanded channels ($15) and to get the mtn. I would need to live in a Mountain West Conference (MWC) area and have Comcast. And even if I did fork out the money to get CSTV and Versus I would also get 50 other channels I would probably flip through before deciding that nothing was on.

I will keep you posted on how it is going. For my wife's take, check out the link to Vanessa's Blog.

No comments: